Financial Support in Fenland

Back to Support

We know that many individuals are facing financial challenges. The March and Whittlesey Poverty Forum, which is made up of local services, is working to support people in Fenland. This page gives an outline of some local support available in the district.

HAY badge


If you are in financial difficulty, there are a number of local schemes that you can self refer to, as well as some national schemes provided to support people.

To view local advice on the cost of living please visit Fenland District Council Website by clicking here. 

logo and text white text in speech bubble and blue text on white background

Citizens Advice Rural Cambs is your independent local advice charity. They are here to help you with your problems and concerns – such as debt, benefits, work, relationships and more – all totally free and in total confidence.

For more info click here.  Or speak to the team by calling 0808 2787 807.


Warm Home Discount

Households on a low income or in receipt of benefits may be eligible for a £140 payment from their energy supplier every winter. Applications must be made directly to the energy supplier except for those on guaranteed pension credit who should receive this automatically.

Household Support Fund

Provides help with paying for gas, electric, oil and water. As well as supermarket vouchers for food and essentials, it can help with other necessities such as boiler repairs and white goods. Applications can be done by a Trusted Partner or households can apply themselves online.

Household Support Fund – Cambridgeshire County Council

logo of CLAS scheme

Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme (CLAS)

If you live in Cambridgeshire and are eligible, CLAS can provide information, advice, practical support and assistance in times of exceptional pressure. Following an assessment, you may be eligible for a CLAS award. The awards can be in the form of supermarket vouchers, energy vouchers, new cookers, or recycled white goods and furniture.

For more info click here.

green writing saying PECT with logo above it

PECT fuel vouchers

PECT are able to provide households on prepayment meters in Fenland, Huntingdonshire, East Cambs and Cambridge City with fuel vouchers if they are struggling or worried about topping up. To authorise fuel vouchers they need household details, proof of address, proof of a prepayment meter (a photo is fine), and need to know whether a PayPoint or Post Office voucher is needed. Email [email protected] to request this for a household you are working with.


Support with Council Tax

logo for fenland district council

Council Tax Rebate

The Government has announced that an Energy Bill Rebate (payment) will be provided to households in England in April 2022 to help protect residents from rising energy costs. This includes a one-off payment of £150 to most households in Council Tax bands A-D. This won’t have to be repaid.

The rebate will be payable to households in bands A-D in England which are liable for council tax on 1 April 2022. This includes those whose bill is £0 owing to an existing award of council tax support, as well as to certain exempt dwellings.

If you pay your council tax via direct debit, you will automatically receive this money to the account you pay from. If you do not have direct debit set up with your council, they will contact you and invite you to make a claim. The government is urging everyone to set up a direct debit with their council before 1 April to receive the payment automatically.

Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

This is sometimes called Council Tax Support and provides help for people on a low income. It replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. If you qualify for CTR you won’t receive any payments but your Council Tax bill will be reduced instead.

For more details on council tax click here, or call the telephone contact centre on 01354 654321. Lines are open 9am-4pm (Monday to Friday) and 9am-noon (Saturday).


Support with Energy

green writing saying PECT with logo above it

Cambridgeshire Home Energy Support Services (CHESS) – provided by PECT and Cambridgeshire ACRE

Provides advice and support to households in Fenland around heating and energy.

They may be able to support with:

  • Fuel vouchers
  • Fuel debt relief grants

To refer yourself or someone else, email [email protected] or call freephone 0800 8021773 or 01733 568408 ex 313.

For more info click here.

Support with water bills

white writing saying anglian water on a purple background with a large drop of water at the side

Extra Care scheme

Anglian Water may be able to offer support with your water bills if you’re recovering from an illness, or going through other life changes affecting your finances.

Their specially-trained team can help find a way forward with a personalised plan made just for you. Call 0800 169 3630.

Priority Service Register

Anglian Water can provide practical support such as meter readings, bills in different formats, electing a family member to handle your account, and more.  The Register is free and for a wide range of people, from those with sight, hearing, or mobility difficulties, to parents with babies under 12 months old.

For more information click here.  If you struggle to access this digitally or if English isn’t your first language, please call 03457 919 155 for help.

Support with Debt

logo and text white text in speech bubble and blue text on white background

Citizens Advice Rural Cambs is your independent local advice charity. They are here to help you with your problems and concerns – such as debt, benefits, work, relationships and more. All advice is totally free and in total confidence.

For more info click here.  Or speak to the team by calling 0808 2787 807.

Step Change is a national charity that can offer free debt advice that is based on a comprehensive assessment of your situation. They’ll then provide practical help and support for however long it’s needed.

You can get debt advice from them online or over the phone.

Step Change can:

  • help you work out your budget, income and debts
  • use this information to find a solution to your debt that suits your situation
  • support you to set up your debt solution, and offer support however long it’s needed

You can get advice on your debts and start this process online by clicking here. 

Or you can call them on 0800 138 1111, Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 4pm.


a picture of a logo - red and black writing saying turn 2 us

Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially.

Their website has a benefits calculator where you can check what benefits you may be entitled by clicking here. You can also search what national grants you may be able to access by clicking here.

If you are unable to access these digitally and need support, you can contact their helpline on 0808 802 2000, 9.00 am – 5.00 pm Mondays-Fridays. Please note they are not able give you financial advice.



pink writing saying P3 with a blue speach bubble around it

If your financial situation is impacting or risking your housing/tenancy and you need support accessing other services, P3 offer the Cambridgeshire Floating Support Service.

For more information on P3 click here.


Specialist support for older adults

For older people having financial difficulties who require information and advice or extra support to access services, Age UK Cambridgeshire and Peterborough may be able help. They offer support through their advice line or an in-person visiting support at home service. For more info click here or call 0300 666 9860.

Food Aid

a selection of food stacked up from an emergency food parcel, tined and packaged foods such as beans and biscuits

Food aid includes food banks, parcels, community fridges and more, where people can access urgently needed food and necessities. For more info on local support for food in Fenland click here.

Other organisations such as Citizens Advice Rural Cambs may also be able to support with emergency food parcels.


How to contact

Where to go

Fenland District
UK (available throughout)

Share this page

Skip to content