Barnardo’s Child and Family CentresBack to Activities
Barnardo's Child & Family Centres offer a variety of activities for children aged 0-5 years and their parents/carers, aimed to support with development, bonding and understanding between child and parent/carer.
This activity is good for wellbeing because
- It helps parents understand child development, ages and stages
- It helps combat parent and child isolation
- It provides health and wellbeing support from midwifery and health visitors
‘I enjoy spending time with my Daddy, he’s fun. I like reading stories and playing with my toys.’ Child attendee.
How to contact
Where to go
March Child & Family Centre
March PE15 9EQ
Chatteris Child & Family Centre Larham Way Chatteris PE16 6PH
Peterborough PE7 1SD
Whittlesey Library and Community Hub 31 - 35 Market St Whittlesey Peterborough PE7 1BA
What to expect?
You will receive a friendly welcome into all of the centres. You won’t need to bring anything with you, but if your child is involved in messy play you may wish to bring a clean set of clothing to change into after the session.
All of the venues have toilets and disabled toilets, and are wheelchair accessible. They also have car parking and are on Fenland bus routes.
Barnardo’s is committed to the ambition of improving outcomes and life chances for all children, young people and their families.
The core purpose is to ensure that all children have the best start in life and achieve positive outcomes. A key focus of Barnardo’s service is reaching children and families from within their local community to support with day to day needs and challenges.
The centres create an environment where children feel that:
- I like to interact with the adults around me.
- I am curious.
- I like to go to the park.
- I am beginning to communicate my needs with pointing and making attempts at some words.
- I like to show the family worker my toys when she visits.
All sessions and courses run by Barnardo’s are free.
While each Barnardo’s centre offers a different mix of activities, across Peterborough there are things for parents and children from age 0 -5 (and expectant mothers), including:
- Before birth – what to expect, how to prepare to be a parent, challenges and coping skills
- Baby time and baby massage
- Play, singing, and fun learning time
- Young parents’ support, making new friends and sharing experiences
- Information and tips on growth, development, health, nutrition
- Getting ready for school – promoting language and literacy skills
- NHS midwifes and health visitors
You can find out what the various Barnardo’s Child and Family Centres across South Fenland do by visiting their pages:
- Chatteris Child and Family Centre
- March Child and Family Centre
- Whittlesey Child and Family Zone
- Whittlesey Library and Community Hub
The only course with a charge is Baby Massage, to cover massage oils. Information is on the booking form linked below.
Visit the Barnardo’s booking form, where you will find details of charges, dates and times of sessions, and additional information.